Under the southwestern “hook” of Vermont, where the Taconic Mountains give way to the historic Champlain Valley, lies the picturesque town of Fair Haven…the Slate Center of the Nation…and Vermont’s Western Gateway…. Chartered and first settled in 1779, Fair Haven first prospered as a mill town, with numerous works developed on the falls of the Castleton River by Col. Matthew Lyon. In the mid-1800’s, the first slate quarries were opened, marking the beginning of an industry that has continued to thrive until the present day. Twenty-first century Fair Haven is a charming village, featuring a large central green just north of the downtown business district, surrounded by some of the finest examples of Victorian architecture in the state. The green is home to many events throughout the year, including Spring Fling, a summer concert series, and annual AppleFest. The business district features many quaint shops and eateries, within walking distance of most of the community. The townspeople are friendly…the schools and public services are first rate…and the opportunities here are limited only by one’s creativity and imagination. On your next visit to Vermont, stop by Fair Haven…and spend the day…or a lifetime…
IMPORTANT INFORMATION RE: PROPERTY DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF SATURDAY, JULY 1, 2017 STORM.
From Mary Lamson of the Rutland Regional Planning Commission:
PRIVATE PROPERTY DAMAGE: There are reports of private property damage, even in towns without public damage. Please make sure that individual homeowners with property damage from Saturday’s storm complete the “Individual Intake Form in an Emergency” form and that all completed forms are given to RRPC, emailed or USPS. If there… are farm losses or damages please refer farmers to USDA.
The form is online here: http://vem.vermont.gov/…/A4_Individual%20Intake%20Form_2015…
The Opera House/PO Box 965
Rutland, VT 05702
- Town Manager Position
- Water Line Project: Construction related to the Town of Fair Haven’s waterline upgrade project begins tomorrow (Thursday, April 13, 2017). Placement of excavation equipment and, at least, test digging will occur in the area of Mechanic Street between Second Street and Fourth Street. Full construction activity will commence shortly thereafter, as early as April 14.
Project construction is expected to last throughout the summer and fall until at least October 31. Water mains that are scheduled for replacement include: Mechanic Street, Pine Street, Fourth Street, Dutton Avenue, Route 4A (Capital Hill), Maple Street, Liberty Street, and Depot Street. Construction will include replacement of relevant appurtenances (e.g., fire hydrants and individual water services to the edge of the rights-of-way).
The Belden Company, Inc. will be performing the work. Questions may be directed to the Town Manager’s Office (265-3010 x5) or to the DPW Superintendent (265-3010 x221).
- Fair Haven Recreation>
- Fee Schedule Effective November 1, 2016
- Biosolids: Beneficial Reuse Fact Sheet
- Public Hearing Notice: 3rd Hearing
- Public Hearing Notice: 2nd Hearing
- Future Land Use Map Draft for 2nd Public Hearing April 14
- Town Plan-Maps Without Future Land Use 3 May 2016
- Town Plan Draft Jan 2016
- Town Plan-Selectboard Plan Draft for 2nd Public Hearing 24 May 2016
Town Meeting, Presidential Primary, and Water Bond Information:
- 03-07-2017 Election Results
- March 2017 Sample Ballots
- 2017 Warning
- FYE 2018 Expense Budget
- FYE 2018 Revenue Budget
Public Service Announcement
Many Vermont Veterans, or Veterans in the surrounding tri-state area, do not know that the Vermont Home for Veterans exists or of the programs and care that they provide for service men and women, their spouses and families. For more information, visit the sites below.
- 2016 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
- Have you noticed……………the Town now has two electric car charging stations which are located on the eastern side of the park. Thank you to our Selectboard and GMP for providing this service.
- Free Paint Recycling Centers
SADIE LARAMIE’S QUILT SQUARE AT VLCT: SadieLaramieQuiltSquareOnDisplay